Return to Solpertaine

  "What's going on Woo?"

  "Well, last time you were here your characters were made using a home-brew version of Pathfinder Basic. Since then I converted everything to D&D 5th edition and life continued around me until earlier this year when I decided to do some blogging again to help me with my depression and get me out of a creative fug. 

  Characters can now be anything in the core rules made with Standard Array or Points Buy with equipment from the character's background and class. I use the Slow Natural Healing rule from DMG pg 267 and the Encumbrance variant. 

  I thought for a long time whether to limit which races could take which class options but decided in the end to drop it and let players choose to be whatever they liked. I get the rest of the world to mould as I please so I think it's fair. It's still very much a humancentric swords and sorcery based world but just because a few non-human heroes become powerful I don't think that needs to be reflected as the norm. Heroes are exceptional after all.

  I've really enjoyed digging into the 5th Ed rule set and like the stripped down approach whist having lots of options for character building. Skills have always been a bugbear of mine and changing how feats work in the game cuts out a lot of the game breaking nonsense.


  As well as re-reading my old 1st edition books I've also really been getting into podcasts for inspiration. I love putting one on when I'm faffing about in the man cave and hearing how other DMs go about things. The "Appendix N Book Club", "Blogs on Tape" and "Bad Books for Bad People" are great for when I'm mulling things over. "Deficient Master", "Bandit's Keep", "BECMI Berserker" and "Jordan Sorcery" on YouTube all provide interesting content too. Dipping into this stuff on a smart phone is really convenient for an old fart like me."

   "Good that your keeping busy there. Now I have to saddle up and ride north 10 leagues. There's rumours that Karak the Heart-Eater has woken in his lair and local farmsteaders live in fear of his wrath."


Comments

Popular Posts