Old School Feel, 5th Edition Rules

  I started playing D&D in those far off distant days when summers lasted forever and life was full of possibilities. Every spare minute was spent filling note books with characters and adventure ideas and maps and monsters and, and, and. These days I am older, a little wiser and with far less leisure time to spend on my hobbies. 

   When I sit down to write something for my campaign I want to re-capture the sense of wonder of my youth but not be hamstrung by a bunch of rules and restrictions. 5th Edition is my choice for this and to amuse myself I have been converting the 1st Edition encounter tables to 5th Ed. I have found it remarkably easy to bring old modules and scenarios into the newest ruleset and to use variant rules in the PHB and DMG to better emulate an old school feel. The only extra thing I do is to divide XP rewards by 5 to reduce level advancement and let the players have a chance to get a feel of their powers before rising up to meet the next bunch of challenges.

  Going through the old tables has also made me re-read the rulebooks I used as a child and has opened my mind to how it was supposed to be played back then. I can now use this new knowledge to run my present game better and bring about new legends.



Comments

Popular Posts